Saturday, March 6, 2021

Cockroaches

It just happened. Since we got here, I was waiting for it to happen: I saw my first cockroach! 😱
Now, I don't like hysterical reactions in general but there are two crepy-crawlies I loath: spiders and cockroaches. And while I still can muster some admiration and acknowledgment of the spider's importance in the world of insects, cockroaches to me are just 🤢. 
There is a reason of course. Cockroaches in Brazil tend to be larger (around 5 to 10 cm), they are incredibly fast ... and they can fly by spreading out their wings. And they are everywhere, plentiful. 
Since we got here I was a bit on the lookout for cockroaches wherever I went but to my surprise they kept themselves well hidden so far.
So when I just saw this little darling in the changing room to the indoor pool: 

I was rather bemused. With roughly 2 cm in size it has nothing on what I am used too. But I won't let my guard down, I am ready for the big, flying ones too..... 😉

No comments: